Kate Pollock and Carly Walker are co-founders of Coastal Sol Yoga. They completed yoga teacher training in NYC where they lived and taught for many years – though blocks away from each other, they didn’t meet until moving to Westport in 2016. Discovering they approach Kids Yoga in the same play based way, they partnered to offer it to their coastal community. In the summer of 2019 Kate & Carly realized their dream of creating a unique studio and opened Coastal Sol Yoga. They also teach yoga at schools throughout Fairfield county and continue to enrich their training by learning from master teachers in all forms of movement including competitive sports, yoga and dance.
Kate is a certified Integral Yoga teacher, doula, former elementary school teacher and mom. She has been teaching for over 20 years. She is co-owner of Coastal Sol Yoga, Director of Prenatal & Postpartum Yoga at CSY and teaches in Fairfield County schools.
Kate grew up in Ohio where she loved all things physical, especially sports. She played sports through college and discovered yoga post-college while teaching in NYC schools. With its roots in ancient philosophy and ties to nature, yoga provided relief from the fast paced city life and the demands of a public school teacher.
Kate taught 4th grade in NYC public schools for 13 years. Yoga was part of her daily classroom routine and she taught fellow teachers how to bring yoga and mindfulness into the school day. She developed reading, writing and social/emotional curriculum for upper grades at PS 321. While teaching, Kate completed her Masters Degree in Education, multiple yoga certifications and a doula certification. She began teaching yoga in 2009 and taught in Brooklyn and Manhattan studios with a focus in prenatal and postpartum yoga. She continues to mentor prenatal yoga teacher trainees at the Integral Yoga Institute in NYC. She apprenticed alongside midwives in Brooklyn’s Woodhull hospital and has supported women through labor and birth in Ohio and New York.
As a teacher, Kate blends various types of movement with music, stillness and play. She hopes to inspire her students of all ages to connect to their inner peace, find joy in movement and ultimately bring their yoga into the world.
- HathaYoga, Integral Yoga Institute
- Prenatal Yoga, Integral Yoga Institute
- Postpartum Yoga (Yoga Mom, Buddha Baby), Jyoti Larson at Karma Kids Yoga
- Yoga for Labor and Delivery, Integral Yoga Institute
- Therapeutic Yoga, Cheri Clampett & Arturo Peal’s Therapeutic Yoga
- Professional Labor and Birth Companion (doula), Niara Healing Arts
- Deep Play for Kids, Missy Brown
- Yoga and Mindfulness for Children and Youth, Little Flower Yoga
- Karma Kids Yoga (Preschool Yoga, Yoga in the k-8 Classroom, Yoga for Test Prep)
- Childbirth Education, Childbirth Education Association of Metropolitan New York
- Prenatal and Postpartum Pilates, Rooted, Evolution Pilates & Samba Yoga
- Vinyasa Yoga Flow, Shiva Rea’s Sumudra’s Global School of Living Yoga
- B.A., Public Policy, Hamilton College
- M.A., Education, Hunter College
Carly is a certified children’s yoga teacher with Karma Kids Yoga and Deep Play for Kids. She is co-founder of Coastal Sol Yoga, director of Children’s Yoga at CSY and teaches yoga in Fairfield County schools.
Her love of teaching kids yoga began when her own children were young and would naturally join her practice. Carly has been working with children for many years and deeply believes in the importance of yoga for all ages, especially children. It gives them time to get in touch with their bodies through playful movement and mindfulness. In NYC, Carly taught yoga at the Acorn School and at Lululemon.
Carly knows the importance of being active and fit. A two time Ironman finisher she says it’s her yoga practice that helped her cross the finish line.
While teaching yoga Carly loves to take the kids on yoga adventures using adorable animals, fun music and games. Her students are fully engaged in the practice while they smile, stretch and breathe!